Friday, August 27, 2010

UFO Smackdown

Mystery Stole #4 aka Serendipity Stole


blocked (for now):

Dream in Color Baby in Wisteria
size 6 KP circs
no mods

However, the center kitchenered join needs to be re-done after a few re-do's to fix what I originally thought was a too tight kitchener row. Turns out the last row before I kitchener somehow got pulled too tight & makes certain portions looked seamed in. I'll have to rip the whole kitchener row & re-knit the last row on the shorter half. But not for now. I need a break from this after I finished the second half in 1.5 weeks after picking this back up.

And totally frogged is a test sock I did for someone on knitty 3 years back. The designer had abandoned her pattern & I never got around to replacing her one design element for a different one I would like or a generic St st leg & ribbed cuff.

I decided to frog the whole thing since I assume my gauge wouldn't be the same & I didn't want to keep the short row heel anyway. This yarn will go back in the stash 'til the Monkeys decide what they want out of it.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Buttonhead Hats

Pattern: Buttonhead hat - "super" slouchy size

Monkey2 has a good head shape for hats, unlike me. I'm having a difficult time finding buttons I like with this, so these'll will do 'til I find something better.

yarn: A Verb for Keeping Warm superwash BFL fiber in No. 9 spindle-spun by me! Navajo-plied on the spindle too!

size 6 KP circs
mod: less decreases before the brim to fit my head comfortably

Yarn: Yarn Wench Handpainted Merino Roving spindle-spun by Tapmouse - gifted to me last Christmas, I think.

Happier w/the buttons on this one.

needles: 10.5 mm KP circs
same mod: less decreases before the the brim so it can fit my head comfortably.

And just building up the baby gift stash. Such a cute pattern!
pattern: Berry Baby Hat
yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton in Wisteria & Lime Leaf - orphan skeins bought at a couple different lys, I think
size 8 KP circs
mod: didn't do the smaller needle size for the cast on and initial few rows 'cause I saw no need.

Monday, August 09, 2010

Basic Chic Hoodie

After months on the needles, I am finally done.

Monkey2 did photographer duties w/a little help from Andrew. Buttons un-done and a little bit a doggie slobber is apparently required.

I'm usually an agressive blocker with pins & wires & stuff, but I was totally lazy & just laid it flat to dry.

Pattern: Basic Chic Hoodie by Bonne Marie Burns
Yarn: Dream in Color Classy in Midnight Derby ~ 5 skeins
needles: size 7 & 8 KP Harmony circs

- Extra inch of length on the body
- No lace panel on the sleeves
- Had comprehension problems with the pocket instructions, so the bind off & cast on order was re-done in a way that worked for me.
- Sleeve gauge a little tighter than it should be since I failed to pay attention to the basic knitting fact that one's gauge will change when going from knitting flat to knitting in the round. My bad! I suppose that should give me motivation to go back to working out 'cause I've been on a workout strike mentally for too long now.

I'm still spindle spinning. My crafty buddy, Tapmouse got a bit of silk from Blue Moom Fiber Arts, so she gave me a little sample of the Tussah Silk in Princess Plummy to practice with. Tapmouse was playing with the Bombyx Silk (IIRC) in Copper Line that had a marked difference in shine between a 2-ply and 3 play. So my lesson of the week was to play a little bit w/the Princess Plummy to see what would happen. On the far right is a 3-ply bit & in the middle is a 2-ply. Not as marked a difference as Tapmouse's Copperline, so we'll have to take pics to compare.

I figure I can play around a little bit since I finished spinning my A Verb for Keeping Warm polwarth fiber. It's all in 2-ply. I still have measure my wraps per inch & swatch to figure out what I want to do with it.

I already knit up my avfkw superwash BFL into a Buttonhead hat, so I don't want to do another. I'll be sharing the hat when I find buttons for it. Otherwise, it's more of a button-less head hat.

And with a couple of my fibers spun up & one knit up, I figure I could add a little more fiber to my stash with another visit to avfkw, this time with a few other RSC'ers in a mini-mini-reunion.

And with more fiber, I'll need to up my count in spindles. It may take me awhile with my cute little Jenkins Delight. I saw that he made them in koa & just had to have one. I'm still all uncoordinated with it still, so I'm sticking with some BFL top to practice with on this.