Sunday, March 18, 2012

Converting a beaded sock pattern into gloves

I'm not the biggest fan of knitting with beads, especially when it comes to a beaded sock pattern. So I finally decided to convert the socks into gloves instead.

Rockin' Sock Club Jan 2009 kit
Pattern: Queen of Beads socks by Sivia Harding
Yarn: Socks that Rock lightweight in My Blue Heaven
Beads: not the 8/0 beads specified in the pattern. The RSC kit actually came with beads that were a size smaller. They need to be threaded on to the yarn before you start knitting, so it was a PITA to get them on the yarn.
needles: size US 1 (2.25 mm) circs for the body, dpns for the fingers & thumb
pattern size: The medium sock size was close enough to the stitch count for a large glove size, so it worked out well for me

I still need to weave in all the ends & close any gaps when I re-attached the yarn for the fingers & thumb.  It may take me a little while to do the left glove since it takes forever to thread the beads on.


dianne said...

That is really beautiful! You should do the second one soon!

Zonda said...


Lindsay said...

Gorgeous! I wasn't exactly a fan of knitting with beads either, but I think that club shipment may have turned me a bit. The color is just so amazing and they pattern looks fantastic on gloves!

Linda said...

So pretty! Good idea!