Monday, August 05, 2013

Traveling Sweater

Pattern: Traveling Sweater
Pattern size: The first one in the original publication (the 'smallest' size).
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Woobu in In the Navy - over 3 skeins.  Will need to weigh the remainder to figure how much is left
Needles: US size 4 Knit Picks nickel-plated circs for everything except the wrist bind off when I switches to size 3 circular needles.

Very helpful for the assembly of the sweater is the designer's blog post if you have difficulties picturing it based solely on the written text in the pattern.

I was a little crazy and decided to do a grafted bind off of the 2x2 ribbing spine instead of a 3-needle bind off or the crocheted bind off recommended by the designer. After some research, including this YouTube tutorial , as well as this blog post and a knitting manual here and there.  This worked really well for the body of the sweater which is worked in the same direction and so the knit & purl columns line up when the 'top' and bottom' are sewn together. 

However, grafting doesn't work when the pieces are knit in the opposite direction, such as the back/shoulder/sleeve pieces were.  The columns were a half-stitch off, so the grafting doesn't align perfectly.  But since I already grafted the body, there was no way in hell I was going to undo that seaming and switch to a 3-needle bind off for the entire spin.  I think most muggles won't notice & the knitters that do will get a nice technical discussion with me on the subject matter.  If you're so inclined, that is. ; )
Sorry, for the blurry pic.  At some point I'll re-take and replace it. My last modification was to do a tubular bind off of the 2x2 ribbing as described here.  But before that, I tinked back 4 rows since I wanted the sleeves ever so slightly shorter.


Discoknits said...

Isn't it so satisfying to have this thing finished?! You will get SO much wear out of it. Love it!

dianne said...

It's amazing to me how great this sweater looks on people! I bet you'll wear it a lot :-)

Knitaboo said...

Wow beautiful