Friday, January 11, 2008

Not an FO in sight

After my sock-knitting moritorium was lifted, I got a little bit AADD with my knitting, but some of it could be considered swatching. While waiting for the Secret of the Stole ii KAL to start next week, I decided to do a 2nd swatch on size 4 needles. This time my swatch size was 4.5" x 8" (despite not paying attention & binding off a little too tightly) which I think is closer to what I think the lace fabric should be. It's interesting how much lighter this swatch came out too, but I'm sure it'll look different again in the full size.


I'm going with the excuse that I am swatching with my Salish Sea socks. I did start this sock on size 2 (2.75 mm) needles thinking I'd get the pattern gauge of 7.5 spi with them since I got 7 spi on size 2.5 (3.00 mm) needles on my previous STR medium weight socks. However, I didn't meet gauge and had to rip out the toe since I could see the medium size on the slightly bigger gauge would end up a bit too big. I've restarted on size 1.5 (2.50 mm) needles and got gauge.


The other sock I'm "swatching" for is Cookie A's Marilinda socks from Scout's Indie Swag club back in July '07. Since Cookie released the pattern to the public I got the urge to cast on. The yarn is Scout's BFL yarn, colorway Kizkalesi. I don't quite have gauge so I'm fully prepared to frog and re-start this if I have to, especially since I'm still getting used to the BFL yarn. I started on bamboos with the yarn since my metal dpns were too slippery, but I had to switch back since my bamboos are not pointy enough from some of the stitch manipulation I'll need to do. (KP Harmonys are on backorder so I don't know when I'll get them.)


Monkey1 had been bugging me for a pair of gloves, so I started her Fetchings in my leftover KP Merino Style from her Red Riding Hood. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to check the amount leftover when I started, so for now she has 1 lonely Fetching. Instead of frogging it, I'm going to order one more skein and use the leftovers from that skein for a baby hat or booties.


I am still working on my Twist. I finished the first sleeve last weekend and hope to finish the second sleeve this weekend. It would be smarter for me to baste the fronts & back together first to make sure that its not too small though. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


I'm a little late on the YPF since tapmouse showed her Yarnissima/Wollmeise loot already, but since I was a good girl and didn't buy anything from either the latest Wollmeise update (though I totally love the Vincent & Paul colorways) or the Woolgirl sale. I surprised even myself on not buying any Wollmeise at all.


I'm still trying to figure out my knitting and non-knitting goals for the year and whether or not I should go on a complete "no buy" (hah!) or figure out how I'm going to "focus" my buying. So we shall see.

7 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I'm a bit jealous that you are starting on your Salish Sea socks! I can't wait to cast mine on, but I promised myself I would finish my Woolgirl Dec. socks first!

That Wollmeise is gorgeous!!! Enjoy it!!

Susan said...

Hi Celia, I-Pei told me this was you after I sent her the latest picture of my finished object--a top down raglan that had such short repeats of color that I decided it looks like "pink baby camouflage." I'm so impressed by your blog! I've only been knitting for two years so I've not yet left sweaterland.

Batty said...

No FO, but all those pretty WIPs, and that wonderful, wonderful sock yarn! I decided to do a complete no buy till Rhinebeck, but I like the idea of focused buying as well. The random call of sale yarn can backfire too easily.

Unknown said...

Susan! Hi! So glad stopped by.

I've only been knitting as long as you and "sweaterland" is nothing to sneeze at, especially when it comes to fit. I'd love to see your FO's (finished objects) too.

tapmouse said...

OH, that little Fetching is tres adorible! And though you have no FOs, you are way closer to many! And doesn't the single Fetching count as an FO? I mean, yes, not a pair, but it *is* a completed one!

I'm so shameful cuz my Twist is still not happening. But then again, you know the angst the swatching has caused me!

Opal said...

I love your Fetching! It's adorable. I'm peeved at the fact that so many Harmony needles are on backorder. You'd think they'd get the hint that they need to keep up with the high demand. :-P

gilraen said...

I got gauge too at 2.5mm :)

Thanks for the heads up, I will look on rav, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now wings/instep etc?? have me confused!!

Georgeous knits there too, cute hats/kiddies :D

I got some Paul, I couldn't resist it but love Vincent too but he will have to wait his turn!! I'm thinking I might finally have the right yarn in Paul for my Firestarters!!! Now that I have done a toe up socks!! :)