Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One of those scatterbrained posts

These stinkin' cute pair of socks for Monkey2 are done. Monkey1 will get a matching pair since I bought an extra kit from Woolgirl.


Woolgirl Sanrio & Friends sock club
White Oak Studio fingering weight yarn
Playtime socks
size 2.5 mm KP dpns
modified 56 st count


I also managed to knit another hat that is still not appropriate for Squid's brother. This time, I made it too small. Doh!
Mission Falls 1824 Wool
size 8 KP circs
A Hat Fit for a Boyfriend
mod: 10 sts less cast on than pattern

I didn't think that when I downsized the pattern, the crown decrease area would've been that much shorter. I wonder if the designer's got a lot longer row gauge 'cause I didn't think I decreased the stitch count that much to make that significant a difference.

In any case, my hat knitting karma continues to suck 'cause I started Bounce this weekend and after figuring out why I had such the brain freeze on this pattern (methinks there's an errant asterisk in one of the set up rows), I cannot for the life of me correctly repeat the 2 stitch pattern at all. So my hat knitting is on time out for a while. Maybe I'll knit gift scarves & fingerless mitts instead.


On the happy side, a small but pretty order from Woolgirl. I am late to the Flat Feet party, but I was hesitant to buy one since the one I saw being knit up at Sock Camp seemed kinda thin. But the colors are fun and it will be interesting knitting this novel yarn. And I just love the Dashing Dachs sportweight skeins I got. Salt Marsh is pretty (though I want to add Harvest Mouse to the name due to hanging out with the biologists at work too much) and Incantante is utterly gorgeous.

I just read the first 2 paperback books from the highly popular Twilight series books by Stephanie Meyer and would love to knit the Incantante in a Twilightish theme. I will admit that once I got over this series being in the Young Adult/Teen category, I actually enjoyed them. I was remiss in not researching the book before I bought it on a whim, aside from the vague knowledge that it was about vampires. JK Rowling or Ann Rice, the author is not. There are portions of these books that need more judicious editing, but I blame that on the whole "new JK Rowling" expectation. Next time I will check the online book reviews first, especially Amazon.com. The first listed reader review for Twilight is so snarkily funny.


On the not-happy side, there's a matching hole on the other side of my Mariilinda sock. Monkey 2 is lucky she is cute. She couldn't explain what she did, other than it got stuck on something.


So what's a knitter mom to do but cast on another pair of of socks (STR Rocktober).

6 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh, oh no...my heart is breaking a little for the Marilinda socks!! And now I'm a bit hesitant to cast on Bounce right away if its in timeout. hmmm....

Love love love those Dashing Dachs colors from Woolgirl!! They are gorgeous!!! And I love the Sanrio socks! You knit those up so quickly!

tapmouse said...

ACK! A HOLE in Marlinda?! You're right that she is stinkin' cute but man, oh man...I would be dying! But yeah, when they look at you with that innocence in their eyes wondering what could possibly set you off and you just realize they really don't have a clue...what can ya do?

I missed that the Monkey 2 socks are complete, but then again, I should have known-they were just about there last I saw them!

Got more blue yarn for boy hat v. 3.0?...I feel you on that one! (Pretty sure lil' Solly will be getting a different hat; rather, I will be knitting another hat for him since the cabled one I did seems a bit short...)

Christine P. said...

My 13-year old is obsessed with the Twilight Series. She read all 4 books over a 5-day period (last week of Summer!). She's seen read them AGAIN. She watches the trailer daily and can't wait to go to the midnight showing of the Twilight movie when it opens.

Christine P. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
adrienne said...

i really feel for you about the little hole in that gorgeous sock. ouch!

Unknown said...

Poor Marlilinda!!!! And poor Monkey 2. She probably feels bad about it.

I LOVE the Twilight books. They are totally teen books but I don't care. They are so fun to read. But that review is HILARIOUS! I guess I didn't think that much about the lasting implications of a beach read. ;)