Friday, April 13, 2007

Not at sock camp

but explaining to my friend that I'd bail on her wedding in Hawaii to hang out with a bunch of knitters on Orcas Island would've been a wee bit difficult. Although the wedding won't be 'til July, my budget wasn't going to allow for both trips this year. And I shouldn't really complain 'cause tapmouse got me more BMFA yarn!

In any case, I've been stuck on what to knit non-sockwise for Project Spectrum and so I finally got around to knitting the baby hat from One Skein. (Someone I know is bound to have a baby girl sooner or later.)

Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca DK
needle size: size 6 Clover bamboo dpns
pattern size: 12-18 mo

The ball band rec said size 6 needles would give a gauge of 5.5 spi and the pattern gauge called for 5.25 spi. I got 5 spi. I guess I'm getting looser in my knitting 'cause I expected to at least get ball band gauge. Then again, it could be the bamboo needles since I'm looser on them then metal. So the hat is actually a little bigger than the pattern size which is okay. (Hat modelled on a size 2 soccer ball 'cause monkey2 was less than cooperative.) I still have a bunch of yarn left over from the skein so I'll see if I can knit the newborn size too.

The hat was a nice relatively easy knit to balance out all the focus needed for my Twisted Flower sock. And it was nice to have a quickie FO since this sock is so not going to be quick. Only on row 22 for the leg chart.


tapmouse said...

oooh, Twisted Flowers! Looking good! And the hat is adorable. I am just back from camp-literally a few hours ago through the door...will be updating you soon!

Beth said...

I love that baby hat. It's such a simple cute knit. Yours looks lovely.