Tuesday, October 09, 2007

To bind off or not to bind off

So much for the earlier mental gymnastics and knitting voodoo to get the foot to not do that wide striping thing 'cause it totally didn't matter for the leg.

I even went down a needle size (2.75 mm) once the ribbing started on the front side when I noticed that the wide striping was going to happen on the first 5 rounds of the leg. It didn't matter.


I should've known and/or paid more attention to Yarnissima's picture here of her Firebird Firestarters. She's got that fat striping going on the leg on hers.


So now I'm at the point where I can bind off but I'm still deciding on what to do. I can:

1) let the handpainted patterning be and bind off,

2) frog the whole bugger with the intention of knitting a pair of plain stockinette stitch socks out of this yarn and cast on a new Firestarter with another yarn,

3) or frog to the start of the leg and change the ribbing to St st. The only issue there would be the transition from the ribbed heel to St st would be rather loose and "poofy."

So for now it'll sit as an UFO for awhile. I think I'll come back to it after I finish my 2 other socks-in-progress.

5 comments:

adrienne said...

i keep trying to find that "magic" number to get the yarn to do what i want too. most of the time, the yarn seems to win.

what if you compromise and leave the ribbing in the back of the sock and knit the front in stockinette? that might get the striping back. worth a try?

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Eek! Its up to you! For me, all that hard work its hard to frog, especially on socks, since for the most part people aren't going to see them. I don't mind pooling. I do mind when you can't really see the pattern or if it gets lost in the yarn. Good luck!!

Kel said...

I think they are pretty! I was super-impressed with your math skills on the foot to make the foot stipey, so I understand if it is now irritating that there is pooling on the leg. But frogging would be a shame! (Thanks for the heads-up on the Harlot mention! Sah-weet! I can change my name to Mel if that is what it takes to get her out here!)

Flow Blue Bud's Blogspot said...

Yes, I may be clueless, but I have finally figured out that frogging is a bad thing. I really like that lovely cable pattern and *I* think your socks look pretty.

Knitting Bandit said...

I say you've come this far, why frog? Make a second "perfect" pair. The pattern certainly looks engaging enough for a second go 'round. I'm starting mine this week...I can't wait!