Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Circles Never End

I didn't think much about Cat's nifty moebius concept since I bought her book & the skein of LSS at Sock Camp last April 'til tapmouse suggested I join in Tina's KAL. After the sucky start of my new year, I figured I too needed a little peace and decided to join in. The only thing I won't be doing though is dragging this WIP out for 4 years. Maybe I'll do one a year. And instead of for 4 years, hopefully 8 like Carole suggested in the comments.


yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Luscious Single Silk in Moody Blues
pattern: Cat Bordhi's moebius scarf from knitty gritty
needles: US size 10.5 KP nickel-plated circs

While I started working the main pattern yesterday during the inaugural ceremonies, I cast on earlier last week. It took me a few tries. While Cat's tutorial is awesome in how easy the cast on is, I had issues in 1) casting on the correct number of stitches for the pattern, and 2) prevent myself from adding in extras crossings/twists while knitting the first round, all at the same time. It probably didn't help that I tried to learn another new cast on during the same week.


Yup, I started DH's forest green & tan vertically striped hat. It took several aborted attempts on dpns & KP circs magic loop style before I remembered I still had my old Boyes Interchangeable set that would allow me to have a 16" circular. A total doh moment! So much easier to keep the cast on stitches aligned straight while joining the 2-color tubular cast on in the round. It was an absolute PITA on dpns or a much longer circular needle.

It was so frustrating that I cast on what I thought would be a suitable alternate hat for DH in the meantime.


The Other Hat that Rocks
Knit Picks Swish Bulky in Squirrel Heather
size 9 & 10.5 Knit Picks Harmony circs
pattern size large

After checking to make sure that he also didn't think cables are "girly" (guess who Monkey1 got that idea from), I cast on & finished in 2 days! Even in between boring chores & tasks. Then DH tells me "It's not green. Or tan." So. Now it looks like that co-worker that half-jokingly asks for a hand-knit item now has one. Or at least he will have one next holiday season.

4 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love the LSS for the moebius....I'm moebius-phobic though. Hmmm...can I knit socks for peace :)

And I know I'm slightly biased, but that last hat looks great!! hehehhe Oh, and not girly at all!

Discoknits said...

Moebius = massive concentration. Even typing the word makes for concentration!

I like the cabled hat - lucky coworker :0)

Batty said...

Isn't it weird how one can accidentally knit a Moebius cuff for a sock, but when you want to knit one intentionally, it's hard to do?

Unknown said...

Cables are totally NOT girly. It's a great hat!