Friday, January 02, 2009

Well, at least the knitting goes well

First, our vehicle gets rear-ended on our way to the cabin in holiday commute traffic. While waiting for our state highway patrol to take our incident report, I was too anxious to work on any of my socks in progress and proceeded to cast on for the Meret (Mystery Beret - Ravelry link) in Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Lemongrass Heather.


But once up at the relative peaceful quiet of our cabin, I managed to make some progress on my Holidazed sock, my Merlot Vine sock, and even started the cuff of my Leyburn sock.


the last Rockin' Sock Club kit of 2008
Holidazed by Anne Hanson (knitspot)
Socks that Rock mediumweight in Muddy Autumn Rainbow
size 2.75 mm KP Harmony dpns
pattern size medium - no mods


Left Merlot Vine Sock by Anne Hanson (again)
Twisted Fiber Art Arial ombre self-striping yarn
size 2.50 mm KP circs
mod: Judy's Magic Cast on for the toe


Then, the text at 3:30 am one morning and the subsequent call from my sister later in the day came the news that our paternal matriarch, my dad's mom, had passed away. In the Philippines. A day's drive from Metro Manila. Younger sis is going to represent the family as both my brother & I have young kids and mom just used up her vacation time.

If I had one of those mood indicators up on my blog, it would definitely be set at sucky.

8 comments:

Discoknits said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother :0(

Zonda said...

Sorry to hear of your Dad's mom's passing and the accident!

Glad you had some knitting with you to keep you occupied! Nice socks!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be especially hard to be so far away. Your sister will represent you well and your family will know you are thinking of them. Hugs!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's death. I will keep her and your family in my prayers.

Sounds like it wasn't exactly the best couple days for you...well, except for the gorgeous sock knitting!

Sending you a big big hug Celia!!

Knitting Kris said...

So sorry for your loss! It must be hard to be so far away....
I think I knit in times of distress, and it seems to soothe the ache. Here's hoping you find some peace in that, as well as your memories.

Batty said...

So sorry for your loss!

cupcakefaerie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I certainly hope that all the "suckiness" of the new year has passed and you're well on your way to wonderful things to come. Your knitting is certainly an indication of those good things.

Big hugs!

adrienne said...

i am sorry to hear about your grandmother and your car booboo.

but your socks are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!