Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Twist got back

I chickened out or got too lazy, but I decided not to do the short row shaping for a 3 needle bind off for the shoulders. It's not like I haven't done it before, but I think the frenzy of the holiday season is seeping into my psyche and I got nervous. Then there's the fact that my row gauge weirded out and got smaller after I got through the armhole shaping. I'm hoping the yarn doesn't go funky when I block the pieces out later.


And it figures that after I finish my first Dashing glove that I end up finding my Fetchings that were MIA for a few days. Monkey1 borrowed them when we got our x-mas tree and DH placed it on his dresser and not mine when she was done. I'm not sure if I'll keep it (it is Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran after all) or give it away as my row gauge is larger making the glove quite long.


And while Dashing helps alleviate the desire to knit socks *now* with the use of dpns, it's still not quite scratching the itch, so I ended up swatching my Dream in Color Smooshy Cocoa Kiss (odd name for such a dark charcoal color) for DH's socks. Yeah, less than a week before x-mas and I'm contemplating size 13 socks. Even though DH's feet are very narrow (matches my wide feet so I can have the same cast on number!), it's so not going to happen.

Also, I'm not sure how to handle the high degree of lateral stretch the Smooshy seems to have when knit up. When I went down to size 0's, the fabric became too stiff (~10 spi), so I may stay with size 1.5's (~ 9 spi). Tapmouse's swatch had the same lateral stretch issue, so I know it's not just me, but I haven't really found anyone online discussing this quirk. All I know is that the size 2 needles stated in a couple patterns for this yarn would make the fabric too loose and stretchy for my taste.

5 comments:

PurlsBeyondPrice said...

I, too, get 9spi on 1.5s for the Smooshy. I didn't like it tighter, but looser was just way too loose. Your Twist back looks great. You've got me beat - I'm still on the waist shaping section. Nothin' to do but knit while I wait for Boo.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow! Look at that Twist :) Great job! Try not to be completely done by the time I join the KAL...just teasing!

tapmouse said...

OMG!That is amazing the progress you've made on the Twist! And here I am, no swatch wsshed yet...

Zonda said...

Twist is looking good! Nice Dashings too! I totally lost my fetchings with a fleece coat, so good thing Dashings are next up for me. Interesting on the DIC, I have cocoa kiss..yikes, having to use 1's or less!

Batty said...

Love your Twist! Here's hoping the best for your row gauge. It's only been a problem for me once. I can almost never get both stitch and row gauge, and I usually ditch the row gauge. I think you'll be fine.