Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How could I say no?

Earlier this week while I was re-organizing the stash, Monkey2 saw some blue yarn and asked for a hat for her little "boyfriend," K. She wanted him to have a blue hat just like hers. She was too cute about it, so how could I say refuse? Then again, I might've had a different reaction if they were 13 instead of 3.


Pattern: K&K Cap (chosen for the quickness of the knit & the whole K initial thing)
size: toddler
yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Dark Navy with some leftover Red Pepper for the stripe
needles: size 7 & 9 dpns
time it took to knit: 2 evenings in between cooking dinner & other chores

modifications:
- I added a red stripe so little K's hat can coordinate with the rest of his Superman-themed wardrobe. He probably wouldn't care, but I know his parents would appreciate it.

- At one of the Purlescence Yarn sit&knit sessions, Nathania's husband, Kevin, had been talking about making the hat more boy/male-ish by replacing the picot edge with a purl turning row. So I followed his lead and put the purl turning row in.

Monkey2 loves the hat. So of course she wants me to make her BFF a hat too 'cause it's her birthday this weekend. In blue. We'll see.


In the meantime, I worked on my Serendipity sock that I started before Stitches West. (I'm waiting for more Malabrigo lace to come in to see if I need to alternate or blend the different skeins into my SotSii stole.) I didn't get much of a chance to knit mine when we took a break at Stitches as I was too busy stuffing my face with food. Yarn shopping & Ravelry passport stamping is hungry work! But I did get to work on it quite a bit while hanging out at Purlescence Yarns Saturdays night soaking in the atmosphere with the Sockateers. (We are so in for a fun time at Sock Camp in April.)

I decided to stick with the pattern's deep short row heel despite my aversion to short row heels in general and knowing Adrienne knit the original version with a heel flap and gusset that she had shown a pic of at Stitches.) Although I appreciate the ease of not having to wrap those short row stitches (shouldn't I have despite the directions otherwise?) and the better fit of the deeper heel, I'm not digging the "ears" I've got on the heel.

But this time I like the fit of the star toe. It's closer fitting and not so poufy. I'm hazarding a guess that the difference in fit between this one and my Salish Sea star toes are the yarn weight (STR lightweight vs mediumweight) and gauge they were knit to.

Next time, another blue hat?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice hat! And how could you say no!?!?! You were doomed from the start! ;)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Seriously cute hat. For her boyfriend. I love it! Both of your Monkeys are adorable!!

Love the sock. I still haven't turned the heel on mine yet.

tapmouse said...

That hat is so perfect! And I can't believe Monkey2 wants yet a third hat!-lol! The Serendipity is great-but I agree with the donkey ears in the heel. I kinda pull and stretch mine over the heel to erradicate it. Still have to work through the 2nd but, (as always...) have gotten a bit sidetracked!

Batty said...

That's so cute! Now there's a story you'll be telling when she's all grown up.

The socks are beautiful.

adrienne said...

heel "ears" could be that you wrapped too many stitches for your heel?

i think the "ears" might wash out. they are looking cute...even tho you don't like srh's!

your monkeys are too cute. they will soon have you making hats for everyone they know!