Saturday, December 27, 2008

Winter Grey

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. It's been busy at Chez Nartian so I haven't had a chance to blog, let alone knit.

I was all set on publishing this post during our gray, rainy winter weather to match my color theme but by the time I got around to working on this post, the sun comes out. Figures. Anyway, I was mentally and "officially" done with my gift knitting by Christmas Eve Eve.


Pattern: A Boy Hat x 2
yarn: Knit Picks Swish in Coast Grey - 1 skein each hat
needle size: US 8

I actually finished 2 of these, washed & let them dry in time to give them to one of my guys at work for his 2 boys before the end of last week. I was in such a rush though that I didn't do the obligatory Nartian hat shot of the hats over my Monkeys' eyes.


Felicity
Patons Classic Wool in Black/Noir
size 7 & 9 KP circs
for: my cousin's daughter to replace Le Slouch which went to Monkey1's teacher

However, this hat did not dry in time for Christmas Eve when we saw my cousin. If we don't get a chance to see them again before winter is over, I'll save this for next Christmas.

The following 2 were actually destress from the holiday knitting and not a last minute attempt to have 2 more spare "just-in-case" gifts. But thinking back on it, it probably wasn't a good idea to put size 15 & 17 needles in my hands, even if they were hollow metal alloy.


Seastorm Scarflette
Rowan Big Wool Tuft color #56
size 17 Boyes needles - I think I bought these when I knit up some Ozark Handspun
still in need of a button

This ball of yarn was from my first & only Patternworks end of the year grab bag buy when I was a newbie knitter. This and the ball of Big Wool below were in a bag marked "Cotton." Yeah, it took me 3 years to figure out what the heck to do with these, especially the Tuft.


knit COWL
Rowan Big Wool in Cloak
size 15 KP circs

Now that I'm all done with my gift knitting, I took a quick break and finished some reading. Younger Sis, who curses me for getting her hooked on that vamp series (hah, I wasn't the one with a really long layover at LAX w/nothing to read 'cept what was at the airport magazine store), paid me back by getting me book 3 (something to do with eclipses ;) ) & 4 (I'm not sure how I think about it yet - I spoiled myself on major plot points) as my Christmas gift. I am sometimes too cheap in buying books and was willing to wait 'til May for the paperback version of book 3, but Younger Sis said no way she was waiting that long to finish the series and bought the last 2 in hardcover.

Okay, off to indulge in some major sock knitting. I still have DH's second sock to do (yes, I'm rationalizing that it is not a holiday gift knit), a Merlot Vine Lace sock I started while waiting for DH during one of his obligatory medical tests when you reach a certain age :p, a Digitessa sock (though that Rav group KAL seems to be rather strict on when you do what portion of your socks, not to mention doing them 2-at-a-time - ugh, I don't think so!), my last Rockin Sock Club sock (Muddy Autumn Rainbow - love!), and a Leyburn sock KAL on the Socks that Rawk Rav group. Pics of that stuff in my next post since I'm not sure I can fit them all into this post.

4 comments:

tapmouse said...

Wow-the scarflette is adorable! Still working on some gifts...!

Tan said...

Glad you got your official Christmas knitting done. I started over on my one and only project on Christmas Day. But it's going faster on size 6 needles than it was on size 4 besides making a nicer fabric (a scarf that's stiff as a board is probably not going to be all that comfy).

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay for being done with gift knitting! I'm technically done, well, I have to say that to myself or else at this point I will resent the hat for my nephew! So I just say its a whatever gift and he'll get it soon!

Love the cowls and hat!! And can't wait to see all your sock knitting!!

cupcakefaerie said...

I love all your gift knits, especially the Felicity. Enjoy the sock knitting!