Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pas de baa pour moi!

Amy Singer from knitty.com is in da house!


I didn't sign up for Amy's classes at Purlescence Yarns this weekend, but I did get the chance to have her autograph my book and hang out and do a little knitting. It was a blast as I got to witness another Hanna sheep siting. The Boba Knitters are so fun. Too bad I live so far, but maybe one of these days, I can pop in on their Sunday meet up.


And no trip to Purlescence would be complete without a Socks that Rock purchase. Hidden among all that Fire on the Mountain and other fun lightweight colors was the gem of Jewel of the Nile:

I originally thought I'd be buying a 3rd skein of Panda Cotton since I thought I would run out before I finished the first sock. Luckily I didn't and had a few yards to spare.

I finally succumbed to the lure of my Rockin' Sock Club yarn and cast on for my Solstice Slip. My first modification has been to do 1" of k3 p2 ribbing on size 0 needles in hopes that'll take care of any looseness on top.


But what I've really been wanting has been to do some lace knitting and the new (and early) Yarn4Socks August sock club package seems to fit the bill. The yarn is Fleece Artist Sea Wool in Sea Foam and the pattern is by Designedly By Kristi. Good thing I finished her Balance Socks pattern.

However, I may wind up my BMFA Geisha in Scaponia and cast on for a shawl. I saw some of the Purlescence crew knitting shawl patterns with their Geisha in I think from various patterns from Alison Jeppson Hyde's Wrapped in Comfort. (She was also at Amy Singer's book signing.)

The problem, however, is I don't know which pattern to make. I've bought both the Leaf Lace and Flower Basket shawl patterns and am considering getting Alison's book too. I really like the cut-out circle shape (I forget the correct term) of her shawls.

3 comments:

Batty said...

You lucky girl! Got to hang out with Amy, bought the most gorgeous STR yarn I've ever seen, not to mention all the other beautiful yarn...
Wow, I'm jealous.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I missed you again!! Glad you got to see Amy. I took her class this morning- she's fabulous! I knew you had been there yesterday though, when I noticed you uploaded that skein into Ravelry...its gorgeous! I got it too last time I was there. What good taste we have :)

Alison said...

Jewel of the Nile--wow, how did I miss that one? Gorgeous.

I recently did a circular shawl in that Geisha yarn; the yardage goes a long way. And it's nice stuff.

Good to meet you Saturday, and Amy, too--have fun knitting!